Click here for more info.
Visit the Battle "Online Parish Clerk"
The Benedictine Abbey became famous, and until the dissolution by Henry VIII in 1538, the hub of a wide sphere of influence.
My family history records many events in the historic town of Battle
At the 1901 census, some cousin STAPLEYs were living in Battle. (Charles & wife & son Ernest; Trayton & wife, & dtr. Julia Maria married to John ELDRIDGE with 3 chn.) and there were 55 other ELDRIDGEs, 28 DUKEs, 6 TICEHURSTs, 1 HAYLER,
Early events, in chronological order
SURNAME in Battle until
30 SMITHs born in Battle 1622-1716
- 9XG-GF Edward baptised 3 March 1622, son of Edward senior of Hemsworth York.
- 8XG-GF John born 1644 , married Elizabeth WILKENSON c. 1665
- 7XG-GM Elizabeth born 1666 , married William STAPLEY in 1686 (see STAPLEY below)
- Richard (1704) moved to Brede, and his great-grandson Richard (1789) moved to Sedlescombe
Some early STAPLEY events at Battle which are currently (2005) not linked to our line:
1493- William STAPLE left a will (in Latin). 1564- AgnesSTAPLEY (widow) left will, with beneficiaries Mercye, another & son John. 1608- will of Richard STAPLEY. . 1630- Richard STAPLEY married Jane STAPLEY. There is an MI for Ralph STAPLEY c. 1663-1721
- 6XG-GF George born 1696 (married Elizabeth LACEY at Peasmarsh)
- 5XG-GF Thomas married Mary MITCHELL at Battle in 1746 (Sedlescombe from 1749)
- 5XG-Uncle William (b. 1751) married Mary ??? c. 1773
- 3XG-GF Charles born 1787 (married Rebeckah BONES at Hollington)
- cousin James married Frances BENEY and baptised 13 children at Brightling
- GG-GF Thomas married (1) Sabina HAYLER 1849, & (2) Charlotte BEAL in 1855
5XG-GM Mary born, married Thomas STAPLEY 1746/7
5XG-GM Edward married Sarah TICEHURST (both of this parish)
- 4XG-GM Elizabeth baptised 1770
5XG-GM Sarah of Mountfield married Edward WRENN
5XG-GF Robert moved to Battle at Ivy Land farm Netherfield. While there (until 1785) he served as Headborough, Constable & juryman at Netherfield court manor & was overseer of the poor at Battle vestry meeting. (This info. courtesy of Sandra LANGRIDGE)
- 5XG-Aunt daughter Mary married Arthur BARHAM in 1774
- in 1792 4XG-GF James was admitted to Battle Unitarian church, and some children's births 1801-1806 "registered" by Protestant Dissenting Minister, However Lucy was re-baptised at Battlle CofE parish church in 1920.
- 3XG-GM Lucy married Edward HAYLER in 1819
Although they were a Sedlescombe family from 1731,
3XG-GF Edward married Lucy LANGRIDGE at Battle 1819
- GG-GM daughter Sabina born 1829, married Thomas STAPLEY 1849
- Edward, Lucy & 8 children at Battle in 1841 census
Richard ELDRIDGE was baptised at Battle in 1666,
his son William moved to Sedlescombe about 1720
many years later... John ELDRIDGE born 1866 married my cousin Julia Maria STAPLEY in 1887 at Battle
cousin Ann was born, daughter of William DUKE & Harriet nee HAYLER
There were still some STAPLEYs living in Battle in 2005, that's after 341 years!